top of page

Please find below a selection of our more frequently asked questions.

If you are unsure, give us a call and we would be happy to help.

What happens if I don't get a Building Permit?

Work that is done without a permit may not meet the minimum Building Code requirements and could result in substandard construction that may not be structurally adequate. This could lead to costly repairs in the future to correct the problem or even a complete failure of the construction. Work that cannot be made to comply will require removal. The cost of a permit "after the fact" is double the required fee.

When do I need a Development Permit?

A development permit is required for all property improvement projects in the district except for:

  • some urban area fences and most rural area fences

  • signs (not including advertising signs in excess of 4.7 sq. m. in area)

  • lighting

  • flagpoles

  • small sheds and buildings for the storage of domestic equipment which are less than 18.5 sq. m. (201 sq. f.) in floor area

  • aerials, antennas, dishes, towers, or lines for television, radio, satellite, or communication services

  • garden houses or children's playhouses

  • water supply wells and onsite wastewater management systems which are subject to provincial approval

  • unenclosed patios

  • temporary signs and notices, including real estate signs

What types of projects need a building permit?

A building permit is required for:

  • the location, placement, erection or construction of any building or structure or portion;

  • the addition, extension, improvement, alteration or conversion of any building or structure, or portion thereof;

  • underpinning;

  • the relocation or removal of any building or structure, or portion thereof;

  • the installation, construction, renewal, alteration or extension of a mechanical system;

  • the installation, construction, alteration or extension of a special process.

  • any construction, extension, alteration or make a connection to a plumbing system unless a permit to do so has been obtained.

A building permit is not required for:

  • patching, painting or decorating;

  • replacement of stucco, siding or shingles with a comparable material;

  • replacement of doors or windows when the opening is not altered;

  • replacement of open landing and stairs;

  • construction of fences

  • installation of cabinets and shelves;

  • a detached accessory storage building not greater than 27.78 sq. m.  (299 sq. f.) in building area;

  • when a valve, faucet, fixture or service water heater is repaired or replaced, a stoppage cleared or a leak repaired, if no change to the piping is required.

  • a farm building, other than a farm building used as residence, an attached garage or carport. NOTE: Large farm buildings over 600 sq. m. (6458 sq. f.) are under the jurisdiction of the Office of the Fire Commissioner and require a development permit.

What forms of payment does the Pelican-Rock Lake Planning District accept?

We accept cash, cheque or etransfers to

Cheques made payable to Pelican-Rock Lake Planning District.

bottom of page